Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Brabantio's Plea

This is my interpretation of what was going through Brabantio's mind when his daughter, Desdemona, ran off with The Moor in Shakespeare's 'Othello'.


Brabantio’s Plea
To God’s loveliest creation,
To the product of
My love
For my wife,
My duty
To my ancestors,
And my gift
To company’s eyes and heart
This is my plea to you,
Fair Desdemona.

Do not follow in this erroneous path
Set by your emotions.
Do not get distracted by a novelty,
Like a shiny bauble.
Do not leave behind the entire world
For a barbarian
Whose profession is to murder
As told by the Senate.
And one who can kill without compunction,
Without knowing why,
Is a cold, heartless knave.

Beware of losing your heart
To one who lost his own long ago
In the cradle of some far away battle.
I ask you to retreat from a road
That will lead you to your ruin
The death of your father
(Killed by heartbreak)
The death of your beauty
(Killed by the passage of time wasted while waiting for his return)
The death of your spirit
(Killed by the accusations, discriminations and malevolencies of society)
The death of your love
(Killed by the loss of your spirit)
Your death, sweet lass.

I do not doubt your love for me
Despite the betrayal of my trust.
To you, I pray
Do not doubt my love for you
Despite recommending a course of action you dislike
For I do not hate
The one you claim to love
For his colour.
I am better than that.
I hate him for bringing you down with him.
His status as a general
Confirms his worth for the moment,
But stay,
His legs start to slow, his eyesight fails.
Age steals his position, his glory, his status
And your life.

Daughter of mine,
If he truly loved you
Even half as much as I do,
He would see the truth of my words
And let you go.
I have loved you since you lived
And I shall love you till the end of days,
And for the sake of my love
If not for your own life
I plead with you
To come back home.
My heart longs for your loving face.


- Ayesha Malik

No comments:

Post a Comment